MurdochGas
Hi there! Thank you for visiting Murdoch Games Art Society Forum, would you like to register at our forum and get the latest news?

Murdoch Games Art Society is a club for like-minded individuals enrolled in Murdoch to gather and make creative design. Our club is a learning environment where everyone improves and craft their arti

HomePortalCalendarGalleryFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

SUP GAIZ new year, new shit!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ignatius
Club President
Club President

PostSubject: SUP GAIZ new year, new shit!   Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:24 pm

hope you guys had a smashing holiday catching up on sleep and vidya gaems~

so this is a new year for our club, been a bit bumpy last year but this year we has FUNDING

so heres a to-do list and happenings for this new year at the club. Josh suggested we cater more to incoming new students in the course and make it less droll/boring/intimidating i.e less of my boring teaching and talking and more playing games and pizza and stuff like that

so for one we're going to have a games section during club activities like WHENEVER YOU WANT. so if you don't feel like arting or whatever just drop by to play some games or free pizza or magic cards and other such riveting activities

Also another goal is to recruit more members which i'm apparently balls at doing, judging by our member count, so lets work something out, maybe work on coming up with more activities, club booth on thursday and what not. then i also have to get off my ass and make our club banner.

- contests can finally be implemented this year cause we have funding so something to look forward to

- also hopefully i can get funding and organize a live drawing session for you guys like every 2 months or something

Another thing is we're kinda working on having the club become a more studio environment for our graduated students to come by and hang out and work on their portfolios, so good to get to know your peers

k Heres the big one, Perth doesn't really have a blossoming art or game industry, in fact it has nothing. which is kinda a problem that our last batch has been talking about. So, been talking with josh and some of the 3rd year guys, who are planning on starting up their own studio if we can collude with the club and murdoch to make soemthing happen, i'm thinking like a joint effort to create a sort of art group/ studio or at the very least community in perth so perhaps something can evolve from that, in which newly formed studios and enthusiasts and students can all work together to make something work instead of having to fend for themselves. its definitely a huge endeavour which has a high chance of failing or not happening but we're gonna try and work soemthing out.

also, feedback pls

cheers.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
georgieyacopetti
Lvl3. Mgas Member

PostSubject: Re: SUP GAIZ new year, new shit!   Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:55 am

Bit late to catch this, but heyo!

Really awesome to hear that we have funding! I look forward to the contests and life drawing.

I'm definitely interested in supporting the guys who want to make their own studio.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.simpletinart.wordpress.com
Ary
Game Director
Game Director

PostSubject: Re: SUP GAIZ new year, new shit!   Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:13 am

so uh...

what's the schedule lookin' like this semester?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mirai
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: SUP GAIZ new year, new shit!   Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:36 pm

Sounds like a great plan I am all up for it.

Prob gonna try to recruit everyone I know when I have the time.

But about the studio I think it has a high chance of falling but if they start to do some small project like Iphone games I think they will stand a chance.

I think Ignatius is still looking for rooms for us to use. Due to the time table changes it might be a little hard to decide, so if everyone can give their thought about what day is most comfortable that might help a lot.

Once the schedule is set I will post the information on the forum so stay tuned.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lyall
Lvl. 1 Murdoch Member

PostSubject: Re: SUP GAIZ new year, new shit!   Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:55 am

What're the sessions on Friday that we recently got the email about like? Friday is the only day I don't have uni, but I can make it for sessions if I know there's going to be people there etc. I live in Joondalup and work until 2pm on Fridays so you know, any info would be much appreciated since it's a tight schedule + 2 hours of travel for it. I still want to come along even if like only 2 people show though at least once, I'm pretty pumped for this course and meeting anybody else doing it Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://voytess.deviantart.com
Mirai
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: SUP GAIZ new year, new shit!   Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:40 pm

Lyall wrote:
What're the sessions on Friday that we recently got the email about like? Friday is the only day I don't have uni, but I can make it for sessions if I know there's going to be people there etc. I live in Joondalup and work until 2pm on Fridays so you know, any info would be much appreciated since it's a tight schedule + 2 hours of travel for it. I still want to come along even if like only 2 people show though at least once, I'm pretty pumped for this course and meeting anybody else doing it Smile

Some activities that we have done last year are mostly drawing. The drawing session was wonderful we have Ignatius taught us how to do a lot of stuff about concept art (Sketching, color composition, Character design technique etc)

We also have professionals with us that gives a very good critique. We also had contest which is very great because we gather everyone to give their opinion about their art work (don't be shy we also have some people who are new to drawing and doesn't do a decent job, just like me Razz, but hey everyone starts from 0).

We also did some 3D scluptring with zBrush , but basically we pretty much do what ever that relates to game.

My opinion is if you have a burning compassion just come and see how it went. Personally I never felt so blessed having a professional that have worked for many great companies teaching me for free.

Last time I study concept art from a decent guy in Indonesia cost like 120 dollars / hour. But don't get me wrong what I'm trying to saying is that there won't be much chance to find an environment like this. Beside this is the first game art clubs in Murdoch.

So if you are interested just come and tag along, see how it goes Smile. You are free to bring your friends as well the club is open for everyone.

This year is gonna be more exciting since we have funding. There's gonna be some pizzas and a game session!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mirai
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: SUP GAIZ new year, new shit!   Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:42 pm

[quote="Mirai"]
Lyall wrote:

Some activities that we have done last year are mostly drawing. The drawing session was wonderful we have Ignatius taught us how to do a lot of stuff about concept art (Sketching, color composition, Character design technique etc)

We also have professionals with us that gives a very good critique. We also had contest which is very great because we gather everyone to give their opinion about their art work (don't be shy we also have some people who are new to drawing and doesn't do a decent job, just like me Razz, but hey everyone starts from 0).

We also did some 3D scluptring with zBrush , but basically we pretty much do what ever that relates to game.

My opinion is if you have a burning compassion just come and see how it went. Personally I never felt so blessed having a professional that have worked for many great companies teaching me for free and I don't think I can thank ignatius enough.

Last time I study concept art from a decent guy in Indonesia cost like 120 dollars / hour. But don't get me wrong what I'm trying to saying is that there won't be much chance to find an environment like this. Beside this is the first game art clubs in Murdoch.

So if you are interested just come and tag along, see how it goes Smile. You are free to bring your friends as well the club is open for everyone.

This year is gonna be more exciting since we have funding. There's gonna be some pizzas and a game session!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lyall
Lvl. 1 Murdoch Member

PostSubject: Re: SUP GAIZ new year, new shit!   Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:58 am

I can't come tomorrow, but I'll come along next week. Drawing lessons would be awesome - I can draw to a degree, but I can't put concept to page very well at all (and deviantart is not an entirely helpful community when you don't have many watchers).

Ignatius was the one who gave the presentation at orientation day right? His work is fantastic, I'd be pretty stoked if he or any of the other talented people on this forum was teaching us. Getting to that level someday seems insanely impossible, but who knows.
Back to top Go down
Ary
Game Director
Game Director

PostSubject: Re: SUP GAIZ new year, new shit!   Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:35 am

I don't know about anyone else but I find it much more beneficial to draw with others around. These sessions really can help you improve your skills or even just build your portfolio.

With the potentially instant constructive criticism available it beats sitting in a dark corner staring at your monitor waiting for random art forum lurkers to respond (if at all) to your most recent scribble. And even if you do get a response you can't rely on it being 100% truthful. If you draw something not entirely aesthetically pleasing you would want to know it right? How else can you begin to improve? These sessions won't subject you to that kind of deception (hopefully).

So I really do recommend attending if you are serious about learning more about producing industry quality artwork in the future. Or even if you want to just see some cool shit go down, it's all good.

Unfortunately my Fridays are pretty full on at the moment so I'm not sure if I can make it at all for now. Doesn't mean I won't try. So hopefully see some of you there sometime.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tristan
Lvl3. Mgas Member

PostSubject: Re: SUP GAIZ new year, new shit!   Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:56 pm

I Agree with Ary, this kind of environment will help immensely with skill building Smile

Even though I'm graduated, can i still drop by? lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://lygon.deviantart.com/
Lyall
Lvl. 1 Murdoch Member

PostSubject: Re: SUP GAIZ new year, new shit!   Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:26 am

Am I right in assuming we wont be meeting on Easter Friday? I couldn't make it last week so I have no idea.
Back to top Go down
David
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: SUP GAIZ new year, new shit!   Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:11 pm

Word on the street is that Murdoch will be shut down on Friday so as far as we know it's not on.

Having said that is anyone interested in picking up a second day? I've been talking with Jenson and he and I are pretty eager to meet up more often just to sketch and make sure each other works. We're looking at Wednesdays and thursdays at the moment- anyone else interested?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lyall
Lvl. 1 Murdoch Member

PostSubject: Re: SUP GAIZ new year, new shit!   Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:18 pm

I'm interested, although I wouldn't be able to help anyone else out much it would be cool at least to have that working environment. Wednesdays would be awesome, so if you guys do end up doing anything let me know. I need the pressure from other people to do portfolio work too these days, what with everything else getting so busy.
Back to top Go down
David
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: SUP GAIZ new year, new shit!   Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:37 pm

haha oh I'm complete beginner trying to get my skills up and Jenson, while slightly more experienced, is still learning as well. This is more a "If others are working I'll hopefully work too."

What time suits you? By memory you mentioned training it home- that probably means you want to be leaving reasonably early doesn't it? I'm pretty eager so if you're up for it tomorrow we can probably get things sorted on a whim?

(On an aside I also roughly remeber you mentioning you live in Joondalup? I have a friend who does Kendo on Wednesday nights at Murdoch and leaves home around 830pm- I'm probably going to be heading back with him if we do Wednesdays. We live in Duncraig so if it suits you we might be able to give you passage home)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lyall
Lvl. 1 Murdoch Member

PostSubject: Re: SUP GAIZ new year, new shit!   Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:48 pm

I finish my only class at 2 so really any time after then works. Leaving reasonably early or very late works, but if there's a room free at 2 and I can be heading home around 3:30-4 that would be best. It doesn't matter too much though, if you all have class until late I'll just hang around and pay for my mum's extra fuel expense.

On the subject of my mother she would hate me if I didn't take the train home (she worries easily) so thanks for the offer but y'know :p.

I have no idea what rooms are free when, I've only ever been to where my classes are at this point in time, so I can't help you on that note sorry.
Back to top Go down
David
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: SUP GAIZ new year, new shit!   Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:52 pm

Hahaha oh right you're only 17- That's probably for the best .

We're looking at 430 in the media lab though we're not sure if it's free. Hope that's not too late?

I'll throw a message up in this thread if said plans are compramised; otherwise see ya then!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lyall
Lvl. 1 Murdoch Member

PostSubject: Re: SUP GAIZ new year, new shit!   Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:59 pm

It's alright, sometimes I forget that as well.

That'll be fine I think, was planning on staying back anyway since I get no work done at home. Surely at least one room will be free, there can't be that many damn media students at one university. But yeah, sounds good, especially if they become a frequent thing because fridays are hard to make sometimes. See you then.
Back to top Go down
David
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: SUP GAIZ new year, new shit!   Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:29 pm

Things have changed already ><

Jenson can't make it in the evening so we'll be meeting up ~130 instead. Not sure which room. Will post details when we know em. This should work better for all parties involved = D
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lyall
Lvl. 1 Murdoch Member

PostSubject: Re: SUP GAIZ new year, new shit!   Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:06 am

Okay, that's cool, try let us know soon.
Back to top Go down
Ary
Game Director
Game Director

PostSubject: Re: SUP GAIZ new year, new shit!   Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:08 am

Numbers haven't been that high overall, perhaps a second day or other day would be a good idea to boost numbers.

Just out of curiosity, do all the game art students know about this group? Anyone know?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lyall
Lvl. 1 Murdoch Member

PostSubject: Re: SUP GAIZ new year, new shit!   Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:02 am

I can say that most first years seem to not know. Should we just post a link on our respective lms discussion boards or something?
Back to top Go down
David
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: SUP GAIZ new year, new shit!   Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:40 am

Hey I'm not having much luck finding a room- if people are reading this as of 230 Wednesday give us a ring o 0434989016 or meet in that pavillion thing outside the Media lab?

David,
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SUP GAIZ new year, new shit!   

Back to top Go down

SUP GAIZ new year, new shit!
Page 1 of 1