MurdochGas
Hi there! Thank you for visiting Murdoch Games Art Society Forum, would you like to register at our forum and get the latest news?
MurdochGas
Hi there! Thank you for visiting Murdoch Games Art Society Forum, would you like to register at our forum and get the latest news?
MurdochGas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Murdoch Games Art Society is a club for like-minded individuals enrolled in Murdoch to gather and make creative design. Our club is a learning environment where everyone improves and craft their arti

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Introduction Thread

Go down 
+15
David
KitM
HampoArgent
Ultimaodin
Ary
Tophies
Tristan
monkeyvomited
georgieyacopetti
HVDisc
shauno0004
holly_banning
Varps
Mirai
Ignatius
19 posters
AuthorMessage
Ignatius
Club President
Club President
Ignatius

Introduction Thread Empty
PostSubject: Introduction Thread   Introduction Thread EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 12:11 pm

This is probably mandatory for every new forum and plus, we'd like to get to know each and every person in the club. So post an introduction about yourselves: Your favourite pastimes, Games, Hobbies, Movies, Books and so on and also, your passion or interest in whatever form of games art or game creation such as concept art, illustration, 3D modelling, animation or game design even.

So i'll start this up.

I'm Ignatius, I hail from Singapore where i've worked in a couple of small game companies here and there mostly doing concept art and illustration work for iphone and DS games. Also working right now as a freelance concept artist for small projects and currently am doing contract work for a few companies designing miniatures like those you see for games workshop and warhammer and the like. You can check out my work in the 2D art section of this forum.

I started this club cause like through working these few years, i found that if there was an environment where like-minded individuals could come together and do art or work on stuff together, it really actually helped up everyone's skill base and creative ability. And i'm hoping to do the same here and in the process, meet people and widen my network.

As for my hobbies, well they mostly are drawing (obviously) and reading. Though i have to say working in the games industry does give you a sort of weird new perspective on enjoying games, i do have a few select favourites which include; Castlevania, metal gear solid, Starcraft, almost anything bioware and bioshock. I do play some online mmos and other types of online games but i'm terriblesuckhorrible at them so hopefully i can meet people who can totally up my skill in that area

cool thats all for now and lets start the ball rolling
Back to top Go down
Mirai
Admin
Admin
Mirai

PostSubject: Re: Introduction Thread   Introduction Thread EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 12:21 pm

Wink Hi, I'm Matias, and I moved to Australia 5 years ago to pursue my dream as a game designer. I have a great interest in both art and programming so I took double major in Murdoch University. The reason I join this club because I am very aware that I don't posses an artistic skill and that's why I am looking forward to work with everyone in the club.

I have 1 and a half year experience in 3D and acquire a certificate from tafe as a game designer. I just started to draw 4 months ago so I still have a long way to go. I have a great passion in music, games and arts so working with many kind of people in this club will be a great learning environment.

I currently do my projects with UDK and I've made several concepts for game. I am planning to finish a demo by the end of this year so if someone wishes to learn UDK or want to teach me how to use UDK please let me know.

Anyway looking forward to meet more people! See you guys around

Last edited by Mirai on Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Varps
Club Manager
Varps

PostSubject: I am Varps   Introduction Thread EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 12:22 pm

The names Janis Varpins

I reside in the City of Perth, I was born here my heritage is that of Latvia having been around the world I have seen and visited many Countries and from this one would say I am a Veteran Adventurer.

Now to Gaming, I love it, I spend almost everyday playing some sort of game or watching some kind of video for an upcoming game.

Hobbies would include something along the lines of Drawing, I have yet to learn how to Virtually draw effectively. I love Environment and hate Character Design; 3ds Max isn't that much of a hobby for me as much it is a job I enjoy the drawing part more then the 3d creating part but alas I do use 3ds in my free time to learn the ropes so that in case of a future opportunity i have more to bring to the grandiose interview table.

I am going to make a template for intro's from now on for i am sick of having to think up an intro for every new forum D:

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Last edited by Varps on Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
holly_banning
Admin
Admin
holly_banning

PostSubject: Re: Introduction Thread   Introduction Thread EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 1:00 pm

Hi I'm Holly,

Helped set up this group cause I'd like to meet other people interested in getting into games and arty industries, definitely could use the contacts! It's also quite a good motivator to work when fellowartists are gathered.

I'm aiming to be a 3d modeller, I espcially love organics and characters. I'm happy to help anyone with 3d, I'm not pro but I've been doing it for a few years so I know my way around 3ds max and zbrush and such. Currently experimenting a lot with textures.

Can't wait to meet everyone who joins!

Holly
Back to top Go down
shauno0004
Lvl. 1 Murdoch Member

PostSubject: Re: Introduction Thread   Introduction Thread EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 1:25 pm

I'm Shaun, 2nd yr GAD, Murdoch University.It's nice to digitally fraternise with you people.

Good night.
Back to top Go down
http://arcane-aesthetics.com
HVDisc
Admin
Admin
HVDisc

PostSubject: Re: Introduction Thread   Introduction Thread EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 2:24 pm

Hi I'm Matius =) I'm first year student in second semester.
I'm studying games art and design. I have great intrest in both 3d and 2d. I love drawing although I'm very bad at it, I have use 3d max for 2 years now so I have some experience on it. Me and my brother also making games project called HighSchoolGhostClub, we are using UDK around a year so if anyone want to learn about UDK I would be glad introduce them to you. Hope see you guys soon =).
Back to top Go down
georgieyacopetti
Lvl3. Mgas Member
georgieyacopetti

PostSubject: Re: Introduction Thread   Introduction Thread EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 5:40 am

Hey all, I'm Georgina, but I prefer to be called George or Georgie. I'm 19, second year GAD, and aiming for a 2D concept art job after university.

I enjoy environments and characters equally, at the moment I'm working on my characters as a main focus. I use Photoshop for all my work, with a small 1st gen Bamboo tablet.

IDK know what else to say! I enjoy most genres of videogames and my other hobbies include D&D, MtG, walking out and about, cooking and... I can't think of anything else haha!

I've uploaded some images to my personal gallery already, if anyone's interested: Click here!

Looking forward to this becoming a hive of activity. Smile

Back to top Go down
http://www.simpletinart.wordpress.com
monkeyvomited
Lvl. 1 Murdoch Member

PostSubject: Re: Introduction Thread   Introduction Thread EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 9:49 am

Hello all,

Im Edmond, can just call me ed. Major in GAD and IDD. im 22, aiming to be concept artist. Mainly focus on digital painting on characters, i do like to paint environment stuff as well. Other than that, 3D modeling also one of my fav thing to do. I still practice during my free time.

Looking forward to meet everyone.
Back to top Go down
Tristan
Lvl3. Mgas Member
Tristan

PostSubject: Re: Introduction Thread   Introduction Thread EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 10:10 am

Wow i feel like a dinosaur, being 21 in a few months, everyone is 19!

Anyways I'm Tristan, I was pretty much born and raised in Australia and I'm interested becoming a concept artist after uni. I'm currently in my 4th year at Murdoch because I had to wait a whole year to finish the final units for GAD (I started with Interactive Digital Design then added in GAD as a second major).

I only got into Digital painting and the whole concept artist interest last year, so my skills are not too good. I have pretty much self-taught myself digital painting but I have done traditional art all through highschool. My main interest is Character Design but I would love to improve my environments too. You can check out my deviantArt page here: lygon.deviantart.co.m though it's pretty bare.

I do play a bit of games, but not much this year. I mostly play Street Fighter 4 (and 3 now) and also Left for Dead 2 and Killing floor. If anyone would like to have a game, lemme know =)

I was quite concerned that after uni I won't have much motivation to make art, but this could be just what I need to keep me going, looking forward to meeting you all.
Back to top Go down
http://lygon.deviantart.com/
Tophies
Lvl. 1 Murdoch Member

PostSubject: Re: Introduction Thread   Introduction Thread EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 10:32 am

Hey all, my names Chris. *waves*

2nd year GAD student. Have had some limited "industry" experience as well as personal project working on during uni breaks.

Mainly do 3d sculpting and modelling now, but have a solid foundation in traditional (drawing, painting and sculpture) as well as many many many hours hunched over my tablet with coffee drawing my little heart out.

Career: Ideally I want to be a character modeller.

Err games. Only really playing SC2 at the moment (PM if u wanna add me). That said I will play any game that is well made or has wicked art.

I think that is it. Really looking forward to the group environment Very Happy
Back to top Go down
shauno0004
Lvl. 1 Murdoch Member

PostSubject: Re: Introduction Thread   Introduction Thread EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 12:46 pm

[quote="Tristan"]Wow i feel like a dinosaur, being 21 in a few months, everyone is 19!

Try 23. Ancient. it's this indecisiveness in life, then trying to find a decent school to teach you the skills. clown
Back to top Go down
http://arcane-aesthetics.com
Ary
Game Director
Game Director
Ary

PostSubject: Re: Introduction Thread   Introduction Thread EmptySat Aug 27, 2011 9:52 am

They call me Ary...

I learnt a lot about traditional arts at Applecross SHS, and most of my initial programming knowledge from TAFE and messing with game modding. Digital arts (among other things) I learnt while at AIE in Canberra.

...massive void in time...

I am studying Games Tech at Murdoch, but currently touching on Game Art and Design... I still have yet to decide on which I would rather do for the remainder of my time. Perhaps you guys may help sway my decision?

I really like that this group has been established as I always found the atmosphere was what brought out the best and more in myself and others I worked with (rather than ability alone). Looking forwards to hopefully learning a few things from all of you and perhaps give something back.
Back to top Go down
Mirai
Admin
Admin
Mirai

PostSubject: Re: Introduction Thread   Introduction Thread EmptySat Aug 27, 2011 10:40 am

Ary wrote:
They call me Ary...

I learnt a lot about traditional arts at Applecross SHS, and most of my initial programming knowledge from TAFE and messing with game modding. Digital arts (among other things) I learnt while at AIE in Canberra.

I am studying Games Tech at Murdoch, but currently touching on Game Art and Design... I still have yet to decide on which I would rather do for the remainder of my time. Perhaps you guys may help sway my decision?

I really like that this group has been established as I always found the atmosphere was what brought out the best and more in myself and others I worked with (rather than ability alone). Looking forwards to hopefully learning a few things from all of you and perhaps give something back.

Good to hear that, I also have passion in both Programming and 3D&2D arts because I want to see my model become alive. I am currently doing double degree thought my art skill and programming is below average there is no stopping me from doing what I like. As far as I can see, University teach a great fundamental skill about making a game but don't expect to be able to do programming in a game engine or knows how to arrange, modify and implementing your 3D models without learning the tool it self outside University.

I reckon you should do what ever you like to do. I don't see a problem of only taking a degree because even after I graduate I will still learn the other subject be it programming or art (probably till I die) hehe technology advances to quick.
Back to top Go down
Tristan
Lvl3. Mgas Member
Tristan

PostSubject: Re: Introduction Thread   Introduction Thread EmptySat Aug 27, 2011 4:39 pm

Mirai wrote:
Ary wrote:
They call me Ary...

Good to hear that, I also have passion in both Programming and 3D&2D arts because I want to see my model become alive. I am currently doing double degree thought my art skill and programming is below average there is no stopping me from doing what I like. As far as I can see, University teach a great fundamental skill about making a game but don't expect to be able to do programming in a game engine or knows how to arrange, modify and implementing your 3D models without learning the tool it self outside University.

I reckon you should do what ever you like to do. I don't see a problem of only taking a degree because even after I graduate I will still learn the other subject be it programming or art (probably till I die) hehe technology advances to quick.

Games Art and Design, Ary.

But you can do both since you know.. ur good at everything lol
Back to top Go down
http://lygon.deviantart.com/
Ultimaodin
Lvl. 1 Murdoch Member

PostSubject: Re: Introduction Thread   Introduction Thread EmptySat Aug 27, 2011 7:01 pm

Hey everyone Ulti here aka Jak Gem.

Nice to meet yahs. I shall introduce myself later in a less intoxicated state.

For now enjoy this:

[IMG]https://2img.net/h/i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp16/TheUnknownArtistJak/tbeatcake-2.png[/IMG

It's not a lie!
Back to top Go down
HampoArgent
Lvl. 1 Murdoch Member

PostSubject: Re: Introduction Thread   Introduction Thread EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 7:53 am

Hi there!

I'm Mat, a 2D Animator/Vector Artist whose currently studying at Murdoch Univertsity. Been using Flash for about 9 years now and I found I have a nack for animation. Been doin a few freelance contract jobs over the years before coming to Murdoch and I ope to get my Bachelors degree next year [bloody general electives...] I'll post some stuff up here later on for your viewing pleaseure. Currently working on game sprites for Games Project class
Back to top Go down
KitM
Lvl. 1 Murdoch Member

PostSubject: Re: Introduction Thread   Introduction Thread EmptyTue Aug 30, 2011 2:38 pm

Sup guys,
I'm Kit, GAD + Software Design/Production double major.

My interests are too broad for my own good, but been focussing on Modelling for the past 6 months which looks to be my primary skillset in the medium-term. I know 3dsmax but not zbrush/mudbox. Mild colourblindness means I avoid texturing too Smile Animation looks interesting but never learned any. Have done some programming, which is fairly enjoyable, but not very good at it.

Game design is my favourite area and long term goal, but there is a titanic amount to learn and practice before I try any in a group setting.

Love PC gaming and boardgames.

As for Ary:
I think that in this community at least, you are more valuable as a GamesTech student than as a GamesArt one. The GamesArt community is already full of artists. It's hard to find programmers who are interested in games, let alone those who understand games or the art process. I haven't met you Ary, but if you are a skilled programmer that also understands the other side of things, then that makes you the one programmer who never needs a tech artist as a go between.
Another underrated ability is that you can fix up other people's assets to get it going in the engine properly without having to send it back and forth a few times.
Back to top Go down
David
Admin
Admin
David

PostSubject: Re: Introduction Thread   Introduction Thread EmptySat Sep 03, 2011 9:59 am

Hey!

I'm David, 20 years the wiser and doing a double degree in Games tech and Games art design. This is the start of my second year here; now second year GAD student and just about to wrap up my first year Games Tech stuff!

I've got absolutely no background in arts, design or programming and didn't even touch them at highschool so for me this is all new ground but with the help of people around me I'm learning damn quickly = D

The big goal: Start my own indie games company. At the moment I'm trying to learn everything from games programming through to 3D animation to make sure I've got a solid grounding in everything but my primary interest is in 3D modelling and 2D art!

A big thanks to everyone who organised this club; the stuff I've learnt in a week is greater than everything I've tried to self-teach myself in the past year!

David,
Back to top Go down
Flor94
Lvl. 1 Murdoch Member

PostSubject: Re: Introduction Thread   Introduction Thread EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 12:41 pm

Hello! My name is Florencia (or just Flo, whichever you prefer), 18 years old, and right now I'm starting my first year at Murdoch uni! I'm actually not studying Games Art & Design (I'm doing a double major in Interactive Digital Design and Screen Production), but I'm doing all the modelling and animation units since I'm really interested in 3D art.
This new passion of mine is actually pretty recent: I'm currently learning Blender but I hope to get the hang of 3Ds Max or Maya sometime soon! In the future, I hope to combine 3D with film and maybe get a job in the film animation industry. However, because this field is so extremely competitive I keep web design as a back up (hence the reason I'm studying digital design).
About me: apart from art and film my other great passions are travelling and learning new languages. I'm Italian but I have lived in many other countries too, which gave me the chance to see new and interesting things over the years. I arrived in Australia three years ago and so far this place is one of my favourites!

Hope to meet you in some of my units! Take care!

Flo

Back to top Go down
Lyall
Lvl. 1 Murdoch Member

PostSubject: Re: Introduction Thread   Introduction Thread EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 5:54 am

Hey to anyone prowling these forums, my name's Mel and I'm a first year student doing Games Art and Interactive Digital Design as a double major. I'm 17 and fresh out of highschool, hoping to finally pursue something worthwhile and learn as much as possible during my time here. Everything feels pretty full on so far (how do you guys still find time for gaming? I must know your secret D:) especially when I don't know anybody/am not good at talking to people, but I hope that can change within the classes and forums here. My interests lie in creature design and figures (not so much environments, I've never been any good at them) and I hope to move onto a concept art focus with illutsration on the side in my later years here at Murdoch.

Outside of art, my main interests are music, gaming, media and modern history. I play the classical guitar and I almost went to UWA for music instead of here (thank god I didn't). My steam ID is themooselord for anyone who wants to add me, and my very outdated deviantart is Voytess.
Back to top Go down
http://voytess.deviantart.com
Mirai
Admin
Admin
Mirai

PostSubject: Re: Introduction Thread   Introduction Thread EmptySat Feb 25, 2012 2:24 pm

Glad to see many excited first year! See you guys in the club and lets have a good time to learn together
Back to top Go down
notlennes
Lvl. 1 Murdoch Member

PostSubject: Re: Introduction Thread   Introduction Thread EmptyMon Apr 09, 2012 3:22 pm

Oh? I guess this is a thing I should do.

I'm Jenson; I'm 24 have have done nothing with my life. I'm in the GamesArt course, and this is my third year here. I tend to procrastinate with my art so I've been stagnating for a long time. I'm hoping having people to whip me may help.
Back to top Go down
Military-Grade-Custard
Lvl. 1 Murdoch Member

PostSubject: Re: Introduction Thread   Introduction Thread EmptyWed Jun 20, 2012 8:25 am

Hi I'm Ewan, I'm 17 atm I am taking the Games art design course at murdoch and got in via portfolio entry since i am disgraphic and am not all that confident on any essay writing i have to do Wink

I love just being able to sketch and draw ideas and as such my dream is to work as a concept artist.

I tend to sketch with normal graphite and in terms of traditional colour art i normaly use chalk holding any liquid media at a safe distance of a diferent room. However my main love is for digital art where i use a Intuos 4 Tablet and Corel Painter.

In my free time i either do concept work for a comic i have been drafting up. Or just speedpaint fan art of varying shows or movies just to keep my high level practical skills up while i come up with ideas.

I Primarily love High Fantasy, Steam punk, supernatural humanoids or post apocolyptic theamed work and my comic is featuring a mixture of them which will hopefully work out Razz
Back to top Go down
Mirai
Admin
Admin
Mirai

PostSubject: Re: Introduction Thread   Introduction Thread EmptyWed Jun 20, 2012 10:34 am

Military-Grade-Custard wrote:
Hi I'm Ewan, I'm 17 atm I am taking the Games art design course at murdoch and got in via portfolio entry since i am disgraphic and am not all that confident on any essay writing i have to do Wink

I love just being able to sketch and draw ideas and as such my dream is to work as a concept artist.

I tend to sketch with normal graphite and in terms of traditional colour art i normaly use chalk holding any liquid media at a safe distance of a diferent room. However my main love is for digital art where i use a Intuos 4 Tablet and Corel Painter.

In my free time i either do concept work for a comic i have been drafting up. Or just speedpaint fan art of varying shows or movies just to keep my high level practical skills up while i come up with ideas.

I Primarily love High Fantasy, Steam punk, supernatural humanoids or post apocolyptic theamed work and my comic is featuring a mixture of them which will hopefully work out Razz

Hey Ewan you are very welcome to join our club. Our club activity starts at 4:30 every Friday. We also do activities during the holiday and that's how commited we are : ). Visit us aytime you want , and I hope to see you around
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Introduction Thread   Introduction Thread Empty

Back to top Go down

Introduction Thread
Page 1 of 1